- White House Staffer Salaries – Always interesting to know what others are making
- Hans Rosling’s new insights on poverty – I've linked to his talks before. Great stuff.
- Best advice I ever got – A continuation of the excellent series from Fortune
- The Private Schools No One See – Impressive performance from the Indian underclass
- The Nike Experiment: How the Shoe Giant Unleashed the Power of Personal Metrics – Very cool stuff. It's just getting started
- Cutthroat Capitalism: Behind Somalian Pirates – They are using the term 'capitalist' loosely, though an interesting collection of graphics
- City digitally adds black guy to Fun Guide cover to make it more ‘inclusive’ – Rule of thumb: Less photoshop is better.
- Kenny Be’s guide to summer’s terrifying two-wheeled creatures – Funny, because it's true
- Chart Types Not Native to Excel – Great list of tutorials
- Take Your Design To The Next Level With CSS3 – Many cool things can be done with the next standard for web design
- How Do I Know You’re Not Bernie Madoff? – Trust has eroded in financial institutions
Posts Tagged ‘Humour’
- Analysis: Recovery from 1929 crash was shorter than it seemed – good thinking
- Business Card Wow – It doesn't fit in a Rolodex, because it doesn't belong in a Rolodex
- How Our Salaries Are Changing – Americans' Salaries
- Emerging-market inflows show investors accepting risk – Interesting trends
These are from an email Mel sent me. Good times. Andy Roony Quotes:
1. Andy Rooney on Vegetarians:
“Vegetarian” – that’s an old Indian word meaning ‘lousy hunter.’”
2. Andy Rooney On Prisoners:
Did you know that it costs forty-thousand dollars a year to house each prisoner? Jeez, for forty-thousand bucks apiece, I’ll take a few prisoners into my house. I live in Los Angeles. I already have bars on the windows. I don’t think we should give free room and board to criminals. I think they should have to run twelve hours a day on a treadmill and generate electricity. And if they don’t want to run,
they can rest in the chair that’s hooked up to the generator.
3. Andy Rooney On Fabric Softener:
My wife uses fabric softener. I never knew what that stuff was for. Then I noticed women coming up to me, sniffing, then saying under their breath, “Married!” and walking away. Fabric Softeners are how our wives mark their territory. We can take off the ring, but it’s hard to get that April fresh scent out of your clothes.
4. Andy Rooney On Morning Differences:
Men and women are different in the morning. We men wake up aroused in the morning. We can’t help it. We just wake up and we want you. And the women are thinking, ‘How can he want me the way I look in the morning?’ It’s because we can’t see you. We have no blood anywhere near our optic nerve.
5. Andy Rooney On Phone-In-Polls:
You know those shows where people call in and vote on different issues? Did you ever notice there’s always like 18% that say “I don’t know”? It costs
90 cents to call up and vote and they’re voting “I don’t know.” Honey, I feel very strongly about this. Give me the phone. (Says into phone) “I DON’T KNOW!” (Hangs up looking proud.) Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe you’re not sure about. This guy probably calls up phone sex girls for
$2.95 to say, “I’m not in the mood.”
6. Andy Rooney On Cripes:
My wife’s from the Midwest. Very nice people there. Very wholesome. They use words like ‘Cripes’. ‘For Cripe’s sake.’ Who would that be — Jesus Cripes? The son of ‘Gosh’ of the church of ‘Holy Moly’? I’m not making fun of it. You think I wanna burn in ‘Heck’?
7. Andy Rooney On Grandma:
My grandmother has a bumper sticker on her car that says, ‘Sexy Senior Citizen.’ You don’t want to think of your grandmother that way, do you? Out entering wet shawl contests. Makes you wonder where she got that dollar she gave you for your birthday.
8. Andy Rooney On Answering Machines:
Did you ever hear one of these corny, positive messages on someone’s answering machine? “Hi , it’s a great day and I’m out enjoying it right now. I hope you are too. The thought for the day is: “Share the love.” Beep. “Uh, yeah…this is the VD clinic calling….Speaking of being positive, your test results are back. Stop sharing the love.”
this is 20/20 saying “catch you next time”.