Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/crownpac/www/simran/blog/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/classes/download_taxonomies.class.php on line 154

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/crownpac/www/simran/blog/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/classes/download_taxonomies.class.php on line 154
Simran Gill » Entrepreneurship

Posts Tagged ‘Entrepreneurship’

Jan
13
2010

ArticlesReviewsBook Review: Reminiscences of a Stock Operator

I felt this book had some merit, but it was not a particularly enjoyable read:

  • Published in 1923, and considered a Wall street Classic
  • Based on the life of Jesse Livermore, but almost entirely devoid of his personal life.
  • Starts out terribly boring – following his trades through the bucket shops is painful – though it picks up pace as he moves through his career

I’m someone that inherently focuses on fundamentals, and this helped to get an insight into the mind of a speculator. It is worthwhile reading if you are interested in financial markets. This book is part of an enormous and ever-growing body of support showing that nothing is new in finance; all the boom and bust cycles, financial crises, and scandals only prove how short our memories are.

90% of what is written in the book is relevant today(Rules change, game remains the same), though somehow I found the other 10% to be the most interesting. You can definitely pick up on a Gatsby vibe, though, as mentioned above, most of the focus is strictly on the trading.

Rating of 3.0 stars
Book rating: 3.0 of 5.0 stars

Mar
25
2009

Daily LinksBookmarks for March 19th through March 25th

Feb
26
2009

ReviewsBook Review: Founders at Work: Stories of Startups’ Early Days

foundersatwork1What makes this so enjoyable is that there are 30 very different stories that are told. I would get to the end of one chapter, and be anxiously anticipating the next.

There is a tech bent to the book (some chapters are quite technical and will bore the non-tech crowd), but if you are interested in what happens at a startup, this is a great place to begin.

Writing this review makes me want to pickup the book again – I highly recommend it.

(You may have noticed that all the reviews showing up are 4-5 stars. It’s because these are the books that come to mind as I populate my review database. Bad books are not memorable, unless they are really bad)

Rating of 5.0 stars
Book rating: 5.0 of 5.0 stars