Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/crownpac/www/simran/blog/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/classes/download_taxonomies.class.php on line 154

Simran Gill » Blog Archive » Excel Flashcard Quizzer
Sep
2006

ArticlesExcel Flashcard Quizzer

I’ve started studying spanish again, and to help in my studies, I devised an excel workbook to track vocabulary.

Although it is currently populated with Spanish vocabulary, it can easily be adapted to quiz you on anything you would use flashcards to learn.

Flashcard

It’s quite simple:

1. Select the “Quiz” sheet and add new terms to the orange table as you come accross them
  2. Use the buttons to randomly quiz you on terms within the orange table:
    • Next – This will randomly select a term from the orange table
    • Show – This will show the definition of the currently displayed term
    • Mastered – This will move the currently displayed term off of the orange table to the “Mastered Words” worksheet
  3. To review mastered terms, just click on the “Mastered Words” work sheet and review the blue table

If you’re interested in using this approach, you might want to read this webpage – It is full of great language resources.

Hopefully you can find some use for this little tool. In addition to helping you in the language you’re learning, it would be great for those CFA LOS statements.

Excel Quizzer (4363)

21 Responses to “Excel Flashcard Quizzer”

1. admin says:

This will likely be a tets for wehn it happens.

2. simmy says:

Hi Simran,
    I just wanted to say the program was cool.If you’re interested in the spanish I found this really handy webiste called http://www.studyspanish.com
    Buena Suerte!
    ~Simmy

3. chris says:

Hey Simran,

I like the website. I learned a little from those Monte Carlo simulations. That thing with the flashcards and excel I have used a little to learn Finnish. I am kinda lazy at it though so I have not used it extensively. Learning another language is a little bit of work but fun work regardless. I will check in to see other interesting topics.

-Chris

4. Reese says:

where to download excel add-ins?
    I don't have the microsoft office disks to install this function.
    Have tried searching on Microsoft online website but in vain.
    Thanks a million.

5. I’m using your spreadsheet to study Spanish as well! Also, I’m using it to study for the Oracle OCP exams.

6. Russell says:

your flash card program is great. I’m trying to make some alterations to it to serve my ichthyology needs. I’m not very familiar with VBA and i can’t understand the relationship between B4 and C4. Could you explain how you get the answers to reveal?

7. brynn says:

i need flashcards to study art history, but i can’t figure out how to import photos into excel. will your quizzer work for this use?

8. Kaps says:

I downloaded the file but could not use it as per your instructions. But I had a look of the site how-to-learn-any-language.com and I liked it.

9. Stéphane says:

Hi Simran,

Just want to say “thank you”. Your program is of a great help to me.

Great job, really !

10. Paul says:

I found this site on Google, and this is going to be fantastic for studying for my German quizzes. Thanks!

11. G. Lane says:

Simran,

Could you tell me how, or post an edited version of this program that would allow going from the definition–>word. I would just reverse the columns, but there isn’t enough space in the field to display the whole definition

12. B. Brazeau says:

Simran,

Looks nice. However, if I may make a suggestion, put the initial word list on a seperate sheet so there is no scrolling down for help.

I also like G. Lane’s suggestion. I would suggest putting that on another sheet as well so the user could user either normal format (word then definition) or reverse (definition then word).

But why stop there. Why not have a macro setup for printing (if possible) of definitions on side one, and terms on side 2. Printed as 6 cards per page.

I know this is long, and if I knew how to do any of this I would.

Thanks.

13. Chai says:

Is there a way to allow for the third column on the quiz sheet to be copied to the mastered words list? I am learning Japanese, so I need English, Kana, and Kanji. It’s fine that the Kana and Kanji are displayed together, but when mastered, the kana and english go to the “Mastered Words” sheet, but not the Kanji (which is in the third column. The Kanji is simply deleted. Is there some way to fix this?

14. Jbullfrog says:

Thanks so much! I am using this to study the most common Chinese characters.

15. nice post, thanks for shating this nice information with us.

16. Chris J says:

Hi Simran,
    I absolutely love your excel sheet.. My classmates and I use it to help us memorize drugs for med school. Ive been trying to modify it to allow more than 110 entries (we have many many drugs to learn) – does this require going into the vbasic script?

17. Liz says:

This is a great program – really quick with the copy and paste into your original file! thanks

18. Peter says:

Hi there, thanks for this. I’m using it to practice Chinese characters but am trying to modify it so there are two “show” buttons for two different columns (the pronunciation and the meaning). Is there any way I can do this?

19. [...] introduced me to some cool scripts (such as Gallery and Nice titles), has devised a really handy Excel Flashcard Quizzer. All you need to do is fill in the word and definition columns on any subject, and poof, [...]

20. Mark says:

just what I needed. A simple and effective flashcard tool for learning Polish vocab and phrases. I will tweak to hide and include a separate worksheet to do the reverse test of definition to word quiz also. Great idea. Thank you very much!